I did the half marathon yesterday. I am still processing my feelings about it, so this will be brief. First of all we got to the finish at around 6:40 am and waited and waited for a bus to the start. It was freezing cold. They had 2 busses for everyone. It was ridiculous. We started the race an HOUR late! Because of that, I ended up missing my niece's baptism. I am upset about that. The first 10 miles were awesome. I got into a comfortable pace. I followed my good friend Clisty for the entire race. She was a good few minutes ahead of me and it was a huge motivation to keep up to her. I ran the entire race! I have never done that before. I usually have to walk a little here and there. Yesterday I ran the entire thing. I did the first 10 miles in about 1 hour and 55 minutes, which is really good for me. Then I started bonking hard. It felt like I would never see the 11 mile marker. I started to get discouraged. I don't eat on races and so I was crashing. It was so hot. The race was supposed to start at 8 am (which is late for half marathons), but didn't start until 9 am! So by the time I was running the last 3 miles, I was dying. I was sunburned and HOT. After I finally saw the 11 mile marker, the course went on a river trail. That was the worst part of the race. It was poorly marked. I felt alone. I couldn't see Clisty anymore because of the twists and trees. I was hungry and exhausted. I slowed WAY WAY down. I was hunched over and my back started to kill. I couldn't make myself have good form. I could hardly keep going. The last two miles were not well marked (in my opinion). I finally saw the finish, was totally disoriented and ready to collapse. I ran through the finish. I was disgusted to see that my time was worse than on the SL Half. I looked around for Clisty and couldn't find her. Then she came running behind me. It was weird. We found out, I took a wrong turn and cut the last bit of the race off. The way Clisty went came up on the garmin as 13.38 or something, so I think I still ran 13.1. The lady at the finish was encouraging me to go that way, so I really do not know what happened. Maybe Clisty went too far? I don't know. It was so bizarre. I was completely spent and angry at the finish. It was not a good experience for me. I wish the race had ended at the 10 mile mark so I could've left proud. Instead, I felt miserable. I am seriously questioning what I am doing wrong. I did not have fun on this race and that is part of the reason I even do them in the first place. It was a bad experience and I am just grateful it was not my first half or I might never run another one. My official time was 2:51, which I am so very disappointed in. If I had kept up my pace of the first 10 miles, I would have had a PR. I am so very very disappointed. And now I need to figure out what I am doing wrong, how I can improve, etc. I'm just glad it is over and that I have the Halloween Half Marathon to look forward to. I know that course and I like the race director, so the only thing will be to work hard until then. I had better have a PR on that race! OK, I am finished talking about it.
(My husband and two older sons did the 5K and enjoyed it. My husband got 32 min and my two boys both got 25:59!)
No, no, no
7 years ago

8 comments:
I understand this was a negative experience but I still think you should have left feeling proud of yourself. You completed the race even when you wanted to give up. I'm proud of you and think you did a great job. I hope the next marathon turns out better but you still did amazing in this one.
I've had lots of negative experiences in races because I only looked at my time goal and that I didn't meet it. Looking back it's so sad because I missed that the point was to keep myself in shape, accomplish something hard, and do something for myself. Every race can't always be a PR. You did great. You finished. Don't be too bummed! And it's a good thing you have the Halloween half coming up. Great job to your husband and boys too! What a good example you are!
I know the feeling my friend...I'm so sorry. I was right there just a couple months ago in Park City. There are just no words. You just have to chalk it up as another race completed, finished, in the books. You lived to tell, you did something hard and you didn't give up. The Halloween Half will be tons better! Look forward to it - let SoJo go... :) Thats so fun that your family raced too! Keep your chin up! :)
I am sorry that race did not go as well as you hoped. But you did finish! To me that would be exciting. Don't be too hard on yourself- you learned few things (like having spnthing to aback kn) and the next race will be better. Congrats on finishing! You are a winner in my book!!
Hi I was just going through my blog list and I noticed you haven't posted in a couple of weeks I hope everything is ok. We all miss you and look forward to you posting again.
First time reading your blog (saw you on Seattle Runner Girl's) so I don't know much about your history, but can you experiment with eating something during the run? Regardless of your speed, going over 90 minutes with no fuel coming in is a very long time and very taxing on your body. Even if you hate gu or other gels, what about dried fruit, the gel-chew things, the sport beans, a few crackers or cookies? There are tons of options and different things work for different people, but you're asking a lot of your body to go 13 miles on what you gave it the day before and early that morning.
Seriously though, it's a memory now and you should be proud of finishing. Anyone who runs a lot has races that aren't great experiences. Have you ever noticed that of the front pack of 15 or so runners at the half-way point in a marathon, about half of the runners don't finish? Clearly with elites, sometimes there's no reason for them to finish if they're not in the money, but it's proof that even the strongest runners have bad races sometimes! Look up Paula Radcliffe in the Olympics in Athens -- yikes! But she's out there running strong. You learn from it if you can (though sometimes there really isn't much you can learn, just not your day) and you move on. Congrats for finishing! Consider fueling during the race. Good luck at the next one!
Thanks Carina. I know that something has to change with my fueling in the race and prior to the race. I have a half marathon on Saturday and I am planning on having a slice of whole wheat bread with a slice of cheese folded up in my pocket. I know that sounds weird, but that is what I have narrowed it down to. I did use GU on the SOJO half and that is probably the only reason I didn't pass out. I will probably use more GU this Sat. as well. I am toying with bringing some Hot Tamales (my fave candy) in my pocket as well. I have a friend that eats peanut M&Ms! I will also eat breakfast this time. If I have to use the bathroom, so be it. I cannot have another race like SOJO. Anyway, thanks for your advice. This is a learning process for sure and I know I will get more experienced as times passes. And have fun doing it!
Wheat bread and cheese is strange, but tons of runners eat equally strange things. All that matters is that it works for you! I've never tryed electrolyte tablets since I usually drink Gatorade or whatever sports drink on the course at water stations (except I never do Gatorade and gu/gel at the same stop, that's a recipe for intestinal distress for me!), but I've also heard those work well for people.
More gu could work for you too. I will generally eat about 4 in a marathon (miles 5, 11, 17 and 22-23 during my last race) -- and at that race, my husband ran the 10 mile race that was part of the event and he ate 4 gus as well (miles 2, 4, 6, and 8), plus 1 before the start! So it's whatever works best for you.
Good luck this weekend!
Post a Comment