Friday, April 23, 2010

My Half-Marathon

So, I woke up at about 4 am on Saturday morning. I felt very nervous. I took a shower, got dressed in my pink running capris and a black shirt. Then I went downstairs and got my gear together. I brought my new Nathan waist belt with 4 water jugs (each hold 10 oz). I put Emergen-C in two of them and plain water in the other two. I ended up drinking both of the Emergen-C bottles and one of the plain waters. I drank a lot less than I thought I would, although I did grab a water and a Powerade at each drink station during the race. I also brought 3 vanilla bean GU Energy gels. I wasn't sure what I would need in that regard and thought more was better than not enough. I ended up only using 2 of them on the race. I also brought a whey protein PowerShot for after the race and left it in Andrea's van. I opted to not eat any breakfast. I know my body needed the fuel, but I have issues when I eat and then run long distances.

Sahara was already up and ready when I came downstairs.

We waited for Andrea to pick us up at 5:30 am. Andrea's daughter Hannah came along as did Sahara's friend, Samantha. After Andrea picked us up, we went and got our friend, Emily. Andrea, Hannah, Sahara and Samantha were all doing the 5K and Emily was doing the half-marathon with me.

Andrea was kind enough to drop us off right at the starting line. We later found out that they had a hard time getting out of the area and to the 5K start (which I felt so badly about). Emily and I used the Honey Buckets (gag!) and then got to the starting line about 10 minutes or so before the start of the race. We listened to the National Anthem (which I found inspiring and got a little choked up over) and then the race began. We had to walk to the finish line and walk the first few steps, as it was so crowded. I felt like a sardine smooshed in with all of those other people. I was nervous. I was wondering what had possessed me to do something so insane. But it was too late. I was there and I was going to finish the race, even if it killed me. I put my iPod on the Holes soundtrack and started running. (Emily took off and finished the race in 1 hour and 46 minutes! I was so proud of her.)

The weather was perfect, if a little chilly. I warmed up soon enough, except for my hands. My hands were cold for the first half of the race. The sun was out and it felt like Spring. I felt happy and alive.

I was worried about my left calf and hamstring muscles, as they have been causing me trouble for weeks. There were a few times I was hurting a lot and wanted to quit, but I just said to myself, "Good grief! So your leg hurts. BIG DEAL! Get over it. You aren't going to die. Keep going." And that seemed to work for the most part.

At the 3 mile mark, I ran past the drink station and the Honey Buckets just as my sister, Amy came out of one. I was so excited to see her and called out to her. We hugged. It was great. I was afraid I wouldn't see her as it was so crowded. I felt like it was a little blessing of encouragement for me. We ran together for a couple of minutes and then I just couldn't keep her pace, so I told her to go ahead. I was so pleased to have seen her and it truly buoyed me up.

I just kept running along. I picked a couple of people that were near me and used them as my pacers. Suddenly I found myself passing the 6 mile mark. I couldn't believe I was basically at the half-way point. I looked at my clock and saw that it had taken me 1 hour and 5 minutes to get there. I was going much faster than I usually do. It was about this point that I had to slow down a little. I also started walking through the drink stations and for a little way past them. I was doing fine on the Powerade, until I drank a red one. That one made me feel super sick and I thought I was going to need to stop and use the bathroom, but luckily managed to avoid it. It was not fun. I will remember this for future races.

There were several points after the half-way mark that I was tired and struggling. It helped to have someone ahead of me that I wanted to pass or stay with. I had good, upbeat music on my iPod. And I kept telling myself that if I walked or stopped, I would be very disappointed with myself at the end. I imagined what it would feel like to cross the finish line. These things all kept me going.

When I came into Liberty Park (which was the 10 mile mark), I started to feel so hopeful and emotional. I knew the rest of the route, since I had done the 5K the year before. I knew I only had 3 miles left and that I could do 3 miles no problem. I started to cry a little, knowing that I was truly going to finish my very first half-marathon! It was a great feeling. I kept checking the time on my iPod and was consistently surprised with how "fast" I was going. I had planned that it would take me at least 3 hours to do the race, but as I checked the time, I was excited to see that I would definitely beat 3 hours.

As I passed the last drink station, the volunteers were yelling out that we had 1.2 miles left to go. Straight ahead was the big hill. I made the decision to walk it. I was tired, my left leg was killing me and I wanted to run in strong at the finish. In reflection, I wish that I hadn't made that decision. I could have ran up the hill and it probably would have saved me a few minutes. However, that is the choice I made and I have to be OK with it.

Running into the finish line felt awesome. I had my music up loud and felt really strong and capable. I started to cry, but was having a hard time breathing, so I had to force myself to pull it together. At the finish, you run through a fenced in area and there are people on both sides cheering people on. It feels amazing. I heard cheering and my name to the right, and there were my friends and Sahara. I was so excited! I ran through the finish line and raised my hands in the air. I had done it! I finished in 2 hours and 49 minutes. I cried a little as I took my finisher's medal, then I hurried into the crowds to find my friends and Sahara. I eventually saw Sahara and her two friends, hugged and kissed her. Then I kept trying to call home, but no one answered. I was so bothered. I wanted to talk to Tim. After about the 5th phone call, I said to Sahara, "Dang it! Why isn't he answering the phone!?" She said, "I don't know. Maybe he can't hear it. He's around here somewhere." I said, "What!? He's HERE!?" She confirmed that he and the other kids were all there and saw me finish the race (they were on the left side, but I never heard them). I got so emotional then and still tear up when I think about it now. Toward the end of the race, I was really wanting Tim and the kids there to see me finish. I felt like it was an impossible dream. And yet, they were there! It was wonderful when I saw them and could hug them. I was so happy that Tim was there to support me and Sahara. We talked for a little while and took a couple of photos. Then Tim and the kids went their way, while us racers went and had lunch at Kneaders. I was so happy. And so sore. And so sweaty and stinky. ;-)

I had my PowerShot as soon as we got in Andrea's car. At Kneaders, I could hardly eat as I felt so wiped out. I nibbled at my food and ended up bringing the majority of it home. At home, I relaxed on the couch for awhile, ate my food, took a shower and then had a short nap. It was a terrific experience and day.

I did it!!!

No comments: