Recently I became over-the-top fed up with the treadmill though. I felt like I couldn't stand to be on it for another second of my life. I knew my options were extremely limited with a baby and the weather and the fact that my older kids are no longer homeschooled (and thus unable to watch the baby, as well as busy with homework when they do get home). I sat and thought about how I could change my situation. I knew the jogging stroller was out since it is too cold for Henry outdoors. I knew I couldn't get a sitter while I ran, cause that would be every day and not good for Henry our our pocketbook. I can't run after school (very often) because the kids need help with homework and attention. Then there's dinner to be made and activities to run kids to. I thought about running at nighttime, but I get too tired, the baby needs me to put him to bed and I am too chicken to run in the dark. It kept boiling down to the treadmill.
I knew then that I had to make some changes in the basement. The treadmill was set up in front of the basement stairs for some reason. I had been running while staring at the stairs for 3 years. It sucked. It was also in a darker part of the basement. So, I had my 13 and 11 year old sons help me move the treadmill to a new spot next to a window. Then I made a nice little area for Henry to be with his swing and his playpen full of toys. My husband and kids and I then spent several days cleaning and organizing our basement. It looks so much nicer now! And, my husband is going to add more lighting and fix some heating vents so that is more comfortable. We are going to eventually put in a huge rug, a TV, more exercise equipment and make it a more fun space. I am really looking forward to it. It is already a huge improvement from what it used to be and I think it will be awesome once we are completely finished with the changes.
I ran three miles today. It was not easy at all. Some runs are better than others and today felt hard. Very hard. But I did it.

This is what I used to see when I ran on the treadmill.

This is my new view.

My little desk with my running log (and my kids' running log that they share), my jump rope and my tissue.

Henry's area.

Another shot of my new view.

What my treadmill area looks like facing it.

2 comments:
HI, Wendy,
Been awhile since I stopped by. Sounds like you are doing well. I think your new and improved running space is fantastic. Love the fact that you have a large window with natural light. That would be motivational for me. I am not a runner, and may never be, but I am a cyclist. I just bought a trainer for my bike as a way to mediate our off season for biking in MN. For now, I have my bike and trainer set up in the living room (we are empty nesters) so I can look out the window and watch a movie.
Nine kids! I did not know that. You deserve a medal. Keep running, your heart is in it. Michele
I'd been wondering what's going on with you. Post an update soon. Hope all is well!
Post a Comment