Friday, January 14, 2011

My Legs Are On Fire!

Holy cow! My legs are on fire. I decided that I wanted to do most of my regular canyon run, but then toward the end of it I would turn around, head back into the canyon and do a really hard section that I have only done a handful of times. I was going to go by myself until last night when my neighbor showed us the mountain lion tracks in his side yard. I felt scared to be in the canyon alone if the mountain lions are bold enough to be in our neighborhood. So, I took my 12 year old son and my 10 year old son. I figured that if they got a little behind me, they'd be together and be safe. Well, hahahahaha on me! Those two sons of mine stayed with me the entire time and in fact were often ahead of me.

The canyon route is very hilly. It kicks butt on a normal day. However, it was muddy and slushy almost the entire way. If you've never run through mud and/or slush, you should really try it. It is exhausting to run up and down hills that are so slippery. If that wasn't hard enough, part of the road we were on had not been snowplowed and we were running through about a foot of snow for probably 3/4 of a mile. It was SOOOO hard. My legs were burning and my feet felt like big blocks of cement. I thought I was going to die. I kept wanting to stop and then I said to myself, "You think you can do a triathlon and you can't even handle this!? Get a hold of yourself and try harder." Anyway, I kept myself going. Barely.

My Garmin (LOVE it) said we went 7.86 miles of which we ran 4.7 of those miles. My legs feel like jelly and they burn. That was one heck of a workout.

I haven't run huge mileage this week, but I am so proud of myself for running outside so much. My routes outside are pretty hilly and so they are a better workout than the treadmill. So, even if I am running more miles on the treadmill, it is not as hard as running shorter miles outside.

That lady who kidnapped me and those other kids was crazy. She truly thought she was helping us by taking us to the police station. She didn't hurt any of us. We were lucky. I was obsessed with kidnapping for a long while after that. I remember once I was at a park with my mom and siblings. I was probably 6 years old or so. There was a man sitting on the park bench watching the kids. I watched him for awhile and realized he didn't have kids with him; he was just sitting there and enjoying the day. I eventually went over to him and asked, "Are you going to kidnap me?" He got up immediately, said, "No," and left the park. My mom thought it was amusing and shared that story with friends and relatives for many days after.

Anyway, I will run tomorrow. Probably my 5 mile canyon route and then I will take Sunday off. I love my days off! ;-) Have a great weekend everyone. I'm going on a date with my husband tonight. I love Friday nights!

1 comment:

Carina said...

That sounds like an awesome run and an awesome way to spend time with (or near) your kids!