Thursday, February 18, 2010

Saturday, Monday and Tuesday

So on Saturday I was scheduled to run 12.5 miles. I had to leave early in the morning because we were attending a temple sealing for some friends at 10:30 am. I figured it would take me about three hours to run it. I ran my 11 miler in 2 hours and 32 minutes. I am not a fast runner at all. Anyway, on Saturday morning, I really struggled getting up (5:20 am). I did not even want to leave the house. I felt tired and cold and just not ready. I felt like a fat cow the second I started running and it never got any better. OK, that is not true. Once, when I was running down a huge hill, it felt pretty great. But as soon as the hill was over, I was back to trudging along. It was raining off and on. I was tired. It thoroughly stunk. At about ten miles, Tim and the six younger kids drove by to check on me. As soon as I saw them, I wanted to stop. Tim wouldn't let me (thank goodness). He said that they were going to go get bagels and would meet me at 12.5 miles. I wanted to cry. I was so exhausted. I kept running (albeit very slowly). I had two small hills to conquer. I made it to 11 miles. My legs felt like jello. I was seriously near tears. I kept shuffling along. Right at the 12 mile mark, Tim and the kids drove up again. I just got in the car. Tim tried to encourage me to go ahead another half mile; that they would wait for me. I was having none of that. I was beat. I got in the car and then regretted my decision the rest of the weekend. I have basically come to terms with it now. Sort of. I was running so slowly, that I could have walked faster. I seriously doubt I could have made it to 12.5 anyway. I did not meet my goal. I spent a lot of time reflecting on that on Saturday and Sunday. I came to the conclusion that I am pushing myself too hard and too fast. This is supposed to be fun. It shouldn't feel like a chore. I revamped my training schedule and feel it is much more realistic now. One good thing is that I was hardly even sore after Saturday. And I didn't hurt myself. Yesterday I ran 1.5 miles (on the treadmill) and had my best time yet. It took me 17 minutes and 46 seconds, which is 41 seconds faster than my best 1.5 mile time. I felt great! I know I am still slow, but that was an 11:50 minute mile average. ;-)

I ran 3.5 miles and walked .75 mile. I was able to beat my mile time. I usually run a mile between 12:30 and 13:00 (or so) minutes. Today I ran a mile in 11:54!!! (Sometimes I can have a better mile average when I am running several miles, but just a straight mile is usually not as fast. I was testing to see how fast I could run 1 mile today. I ran my first 2.5 and then started the treadmill over to see how fast I could run 1.) I was really proud of myself. My goal is to run an 11 minute mile by the time I do my relay race in June. I know it is really slow, but it has been a real challenge for me to run fast. I am short and round and that is not the ideal body type for running. ;-)

I missed my 1.5 mile run for yesterday and am feeling unmotivated for my 3.5 miles scheduled for today.

No comments: