Thursday, February 10, 2011

Running the Sahara

So, I am still here. Not running as much as I'd like to be. In fact, I am barely running at all. My life suddenly got way hectic and crazy this last week and I have barely had time to even shower each day.

I got a 2.5 mile run in on Monday and a 3 mile run in today. Life is slowing down a smidge after next Tuesday (or so I think it will) and I am hoping I can resume my running obsession. Of course February is going to end up a super low mileage month just like January did. I thought February would make up for January, but it will not. I am learning along this journey that I can never predict how things will go and just when I get into a good, comfortable groove and think that is my new normal, something happens to knock me on my behind. I am not complaining. I am a very blessed woman. I am just a busy one who is not motivated to get up at 4 am or 5 am to run. It just doesn't mean that much to me, I guess. I hate admitting it, but that is the truth. I love running. I love what it is doing for me and for my body. But it cannot be a huge priority in my life. I just have to be thankful and happy with whatever I can get done each day, week, month and not fret over it all of the time.

(By the way, I am not going to be able to do my 10K this weekend and most likely not going to do a March race either. So my next race is a half marathon in April. I have had to adjust some of my expectations in regards to racing this year for personal reasons. More on that later.)

OK, enough of that. Today I watched an awesome, amazing movie called Running the Sahara. It is about three men who ran across the Sahara desert in 111 days. They ran about 50 miles every day and never took a day off from running! Wow! So impressive. If you get a chance to watch it, don't pass it up. It is fascinating.

3 comments:

Carina said...

Life is all about choices and priorities, and unless you're an elite with no family, seems like it makes sense running isn't your top priority. And the good thing is, it will be right there for you to pick up regularly again whenever you want! Sorry to hear about the no-go races, awaiting deets.

Karla said...

I just put that movie in my netflix queue. . . I love a good documentary.

Thanks for the tip.

Anonymous said...

Love Running the Sahara, have you seen Spirit of the Marathon??