This morning I met three of my Ragnar teammates and one of my teammate's sister for the HILLY canyon walk. I had planned to do the 6.8 mile version, of which I was intending to run 4 miles. My friends are all LOTS faster than I am (Let's face it: I run about as fast as they walk). I was quite a way behind them the entire time. They had to stop and wait for me a few times. I was trying to keep up with them for a fair amount of the route, but it was painfully obvious that I was NO match for them. I knew this going into it, but it was still disheartening for me. I am SO SLOW. I came home pretty bummed and Tim had to remind me not to compare myself to them, but to think about how far I have come and to remember that I have the potential to be faster. All true things. I just get in this mindset where I feel so confident and proud of myself and think I am a real runner. Then I actually exercise with another person and am forced to face the fact that I am slow as molasses and that my "running" is more like trotting. Yes, I have made improvements. There is no doubt about it. But not as much as I wish I had. I also had to really think about the fact that I will not get faster until I lose some weight. So it was a very reflective experience for me.
Anyway, I did my 6.8 mile HILLY canyon walk, of which I ran 3.5 miles. It took me 1 hour and 50 minutes. I was sore and exhausted when I got home!
I enjoyed being with my friends and I was able to do the course 10 minutes faster than I usually do. So they did push me. I think if I were to do this once a week with them, I would see more improvement.
No, no, no
7 years ago

2 comments:
Tim is right- do not compare yourself. Think of how far you have come. You are an inspiriation- seriously- to all those who struggle with weight and exercise. You have become a runner- you are a runner. you will get faster and you will lose whatever weight you want to lose in time. You just need to be patient with yourself and your body. Be proud that you are not starving yourself and going to extreme measures to lose weight- you are doing it the healthy old-fashioned way- with hard work and determination. I am very proud of you and all you have accomplished.
just found this blog! good job Wendy! Miss keeping in touch with - will miss your FB updates too. take care!
Post a Comment