Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Background

I started running for real in January of 2009. Prior to that I dabbled in running, mostly walking, and did my first 5K race in April of 2008 (I ran about a mile of it). In January of 2009, I decided to get serious about it. I started out slowly by running a few minutes at a time. Then I ran 1/4 of mile straight (it was tough) and kept pushing myself to do more. In 2009 I ran two 5K races (running half of the first one and more than half of the second one) and a 10K race (I ran about 5.7-5.8 miles of it). In July of 2009, a friend approached me to join her Wasatch Back Ragnar Relay team for 2010. I was flattered, excited and determined. We put the team together and I started to train for real in November of 2009. In January 2010, I decided to sign up for a half-marathon (it is in April) and that has motivated me to train more seriously as well. I am still a very slow runner, but I have seen improvements in myself over the last several months. My fastest mile so far is 10:42 minutes and the furthest I have run without stopping is 12 miles. I plan to continue with this training and lifestyle even after the half-marathon and Wasatch Back are over. I am not a very good runner, but I do love it and how it makes me feel.

No comments: