Friday, July 1, 2011

Barefoot

Just for the heck of it, I ran 1 mile barefoot (only socks) on the treadmill on Wednesday. It was way harder than I thought it'd be. It took me 13:32 minutes, which is about the pace I was at when I first started running (I'm generally a 10:30-11:30 min pace now). My feet and heels were sore the next day. Darn it! I am a heel striker. I had my son video me running and I now have the proof. I am not sure if I will be a barefoot runner, but I am having trouble with shoes. I need new ones, but my feet are so picky and my whole body hurts when I have the wrong shoes. My husband wants me to use Vibram 5 Fingers. He thinks that will be the answer to my shoe problems. I just don't know. I still have a good 40-50 lbs to lose and it seems silly to run without cushioning at this point. And yet, I know that we relearn how to run and actually protect our feet/body when running barefoot. Hmm ... so much to think about on this one.

Well we are in full-swing getting our Red Rock Relay team finalized. I'm going to be in Van 1 and am runner 1. Looks like FUN! My friend bought our Ragnar Wasatch Back 2012 team. We're #43! Awesome. I'm looking forward to getting back on track with my running and dieting. I have regained 11 pounds. It's just ridiculous. I didn't realize how much the running was keeping my weight down until now. It has been a huge factor in my weightloss journey without a doubt. I always want to get a run in, but if I actually have the time, I am always lacking the energy. Sleepless nights have been hard for me. I am used to getting 8-9 hours of sleep every night and my body has taken this new baby thing hard. I am so in love with my Henry and wouldn't change a thing. I just wish I had been better prepared. I'm slowly starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Things are getting better. This week I have been getting a total of 6-7 hours of sleep every night (unfortunately not all at once) so I am feeling more like myself. I think it's going to be OK. I will come back and I will get even stronger and healthier. ;-)

Have a great weekend everyone.

2 comments:

Carina said...

My feet got really hot from my only socks-on-treadmill run. It was like the belt warmed up too much and it hurt. But I bet there was other heel-strike/no-cushioning pain too, I just don't remember it. I only did it b/c I'd forgotten to pack my shoes that day.

Anyway, no advice on the vibrams. I don't think it would be good for me, since I've had some issues with plantar fasciitis before. I def agree we weren't meant to run w/ shoes, but we also weren't meant to run on concrete or asphalt, and that happens to be where most of my running takes place, so I'm firmly in the "shoe" camp. But different strokes, for different folks, right?

Jen said...

I bet you know what I'm going to say, right? If you do the barefoot thing, do it outside. Even on the treadmill you run differently. And I wouldn't get Vibrams until you've built up some foot strength by going barefoot. You'll go farther than you should because you won't hurt until it's too late and injury could happen easily. Avoid grass as well as it can hide sharp little pointy things. All that being said, I love it. I'm excited for your Red Rock team and for your next year. Running will always be there, little babies only come every once in a while!