Tuesday, July 19, 2011

New Shoes

I'm in the midst of trying out new running shoes. Right now I am trying Asics GT something or other. Not sure if I like them. I tried Nike Dual Fushion ... not quite right. And I tried Nike Lunarglides ... I knew they were wrong as soon as I put them on. I've tried the Asics for a short half mile and I bought them last Friday. The problem is that my heels (especially my left heel) have been hurting so badly lately that I could barely walk at one point. I am also having minor pain on the outside of my left foot. I hope to get a little run in today in the Asics so I can get a better feel for them, but I also do not want my "injuries" to get worse. For the Asics, I went to a running store and was evaluated and fitted. I really hope they end up working for me. I have 15 days to decide.

So, I have checked my weight a couple of times since Henry was born. The first time I checked, I was up 8 pounds. The second time I checked, I was up 11 pounds. I just checked again this weekend and was sad to see I was up 14.5 pounds from my lowest. I am not sure why having the baby has been such a trainwreck in terms of dieting/exercising for me. I know a large part if it is tremendous fatigue. My son doesn't like sleeping. And if he's going to sleep, it must be in someone's arms ... preferably mine (this includes all night long). When I have the time to run, I never want to. I always feel way too tired. And I have also just allowed myself to eat whatever I want. The combination has been disastrous.

On Sunday, I bit the bullet. I decided what I wanted my goal weight to be (I have had another weight in mind, but it's unrealistic). It is a weight I know I can maintain. I will be healthy. I will not be skinny. I will be able to run better, but will also be able to enjoy eating (which is a big deal to me) without too much concern. If I shoot for my smaller goal weight, it will probably be barely attainable and I will spend my entire life just to maintain it. I am basically setting myself up for failure with that goal. This new goal is so very doable. AND, I only have to lose 36 lbs (which includes my recent weight gain) to get there. I am allowing myself 11 months to do it. I have a calorie budget scheduled for the next 11 months. I have already lost 4 of those regained pounds. I know losing the regained pounds will be easy-ish and then once I get to my lowest, it will be hard work again. That is why I have given myself so long to accomplish it. I really want it to work this time.

I have a half marathon in less than a month. It is in my town and actually starts right next to my parents' house (they live at the mouth of a canyon) and runs right past my neighborhood and by my old neighborhood. I was going to back out, since I am NOT ready, but then I decided that I will do it anyway with the understanding that I will probably walk most of it. I do not like how much I have regressed in my running, but that doesn't mean I have to give up altogether.

Here's a photo of my baby who LOVES to stand up:

3 comments:

Carina said...

Outside of your foot? I'm thinking peroneus longus tendon? Read up on it and see if any of the recommended therapies work for you.

Good call on doing the race anyway, even if it won't be a PR -- it's getting out there and doing it, which is more than many people do. I know how hard that can be mentally, but you're definitely making the right choice.

Reading the weight part has me thinking -- I also have an unrealistic goal in mind... I may have to post about this soon.

Michele said...

I like your very realistic weight loss goals. I like your resolve, too. A new baby will jar anyone's eating off. Your own sleeping and daily habits are all off. SO, make some changes, but set reasonable and doable goals, which I think you are.

Jen said...

It's so hard to do anything normal when you don't get enough sleep. Especially running and healthy eating. Those take concentration and real effort and that's hard to do when you don't have the sleep necessary. Don't be too hard on yourself. And I like that you've given yourself time to meet your goals.
And your baby is so beautiful. Really, that's the priority in your life right now. :)